Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Bridgestone Blizzak Run Flats

I was searching through the garage the other day, and found my set of Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires. I'm going to get them mounted here in a couple of days, and was looking on Tirerack at the specifics. Well, it turns out Bridgestone now makes a run-flat version of this tire. You can drive up to 50 miles at 50 miles an hour after getting a flat due to its self-supporting architecture.

No more standing on the side of the road in the freezing cold 4 degree morning at 6:00 AM before the sun has risen with 22 mile-per-hour winds trying to pry off your old tire, when you forgot to bring a jacket that day. Ask me how I know. The other day when one of my trusty old Goodyear Eagle F1's blew out, that's exactly what happened. Oh well, I guess it's time to switch over to the snow tires anyway. It must be a sign that I should go ahead and do it.

Remember, even if you have the best winter tires in the world, nothing compares to safe driving and judgment. When you hit a patch of ice, no fancy tread pattern or rubber composition can save you.

No comments: